How People Acquired Tenders From the National Youth Service (NYS)
You are hereHome Â» News How People Acquired Tenders From the National Youth Service (NYS)
- By Jael Keya on Saturday, 26 May 2018 - 10:31am step by step File image of President Uhuru Kenyatta and NYS recruits
Reports have revealed that as much as the tendering process in government offices were moved online a few years ago, the system at National Youth Service (NYS) is still designe d to have maximum human input in the process.
An investigative piece done by the Standard on the tendering process divulged that for one to be awarded a tender, they have to go through seven stages.
One had to first get a tender requisition from the service, then acquire an approval from a finance officer before the tender is evaluated by a procurement committee.
It is, therefore, after the procurement committee's approval that the goods and services are then delivered to the service.
After goods have been delivered , an inspection is then done, before a voucher is handed to the supplier.
The voucher is then validated before payment is done through the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK).
However, a process which should ideally run smoothly has been marred by corrupti on as all people in the chain are alleged to always demand bribes before the process can be moved to the next stage.
A supplier who spoke to the Standard exclaimed: "This is how it goes. An official calls you, based on the people you know, and asks if you can supply some goods, and thatâs it. The deal is completed on phone.
"The longer route is to pass through all the tendering stages, but then you will have to bribe everyone along the chain and still pay the 10 percent from what you receive in the end. That is the rule," he stated.
Additionally, it was discovered that the process is so bad to an extent that at the NYS headquarters, some employees have resorted to hawking payment vouchers to the highest bidder whenever there are funds for the purpose.
This has been established in the wake of the recent Ksh9 billion scandal which has seen senior government officials assert that the culprits will not be spared and they will be brou ght to book.
Deputy President William Ruto on Friday noted: "Stiff penalties must be meted out to stop such acts. We cannot be losing money to corrupt individuals at the expense of development of the country.â
- grisly accident 4 Killed After County Truck Loses Control [PHOTO] 27 May 2018
- going in for the kill DPP Announces Progress Made in NYS Investigations 27 May 2018
- The untold How Raila's Visit to Harambee House Caused Panic - ex-CJ Mutunga 26 May 2018
- Hard hitting Miguna Blasts Raila Over NYS Scandal 26 Ma y 2018
- no escape Raila Reveals What Will Happen to NYS Suspects 26 May 2018
- be in the know Company to Offer Free Bus Rides Along Thika Superhighway 26 May 2018
- rocky times Tension After Petition Was Filed to Impeach Interior PS 26 May 2018
- bold step CS Kiunjuri Speaks on Resigning Over Maize Scandal 26 May 2 018
- Take Caution NTSA Issue Warning Over New Smart Driving License 26 May 2018
- Show More
More Recent News
- my take Mudavadi's Advise to Uhuru Over NYS Scandal 26 May 2018
- Beware CBD Gang Injecting Victims Before Robbing Them 26 May 2018
- never again Murkomen's Surprising Declaration After Maize Scandal 26 May 2018
- LISTEN What Maraga Told Kenyans in Diaspora About Uhuru 26 May 2018
- good deed Fashion Designer Who Returned Millions She Received From NYS 26 May 2018
- deadly 7 Killed in Grisly Road Accident 26 May 2018
- New Twist Why Former CS Wants Archbishop Eliud Wabukala Jailed 25 May 2018
- legal redress Suspects in NYS Scandal Now Rush to Court 25 May 2018
- Mending fences Uhuru's PS Apologizes to DCI Kinoti 25 May 2018
- Show More
- 1 Uhuru's PS Apologizes to DCI Kin oti
- 2 Groom Killed Preparing for His Wedding
- 3 Matatu Operators Rough Up Student for Defending Woman [VIDEO & PHOTOS]
- 4 Fashion Designer Who Returned Millions She Received From NYS
- 5 Deputy Governor Who is a Doctor in US
- 6 Raila's 1st Action After Getting Back to The Country
- 7 Why Joho is Planning a Nationwide Tour [VIDEO]
- 8 NTSA Issue Warning Over New Smart Driving License
- 9 DP Ruto Breaks Silence on NYS Saga
- 10 REVEALED: Names of Those Who Benefited From Ksh1 Billion Maize Scandal
Handle It N EWKristoff
Short N Sweet NEWSauti Sol
Move NEWLe Band
Watajua Hawajui NEWKhaligraph Jones
- Msupa S
Now You Know NEWKhaligraph Jones
Love Me NEWBobby Mapesa
- Calvo Mistari
- Fena Gitu
Tena na Tena NEWRed Acapella
- H_art the Band
La mba Lolo NEWKrg The Don
- DJ Kalonje